Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fresh Herbs

Megan and I have been talking about gardening for forever now. However, we keep talking about it, but never got around to actually doing it! While at Publix yesterday, we wanted to pick up some basil for our pizzas we plan to make this weekend. After realizing a small little package of basil runs $3-4 at Publix we wanted to take a stand. Rant: That's outrageous for a little package of basil, that if we don't fully consume will go bad in no time! So instead, about 5 feet from the packaged herbs at Publix was a display stand with already planted herbs! We bought a little basil plant for $2; note: this was cheaper than the packaged basil and was actually bigger.

This morning we woke up at 5:30am (well Megan did, I didn't drag out of bed until 6:10am), and I drove Megan to her clinical's at the VA Hospital. I dropped her off around 6:45am and then while on the way home I took a detour and stopped at Lowes. The reason for going to Lowest was actually to see what time they open so that I could come back later. But, I was pleasantly surprised; they open at 6am! I went in and walked around (admiring the gorgeous KitchenAid double oven and range and refrigerator). Finally I made my way to the gardening section and found some organic garden soil, a cute little pot with a saucer, and a small hand shovel. 


I came home and got to planting!


Say hello to our new basil plant! After planting, I was about to throw the bag away that my pot and shovel were in but noticed a card stuffed in it. Normally, I throw these kinds of these away, but I decided to take a look at it. Low and behold it was an advertisement for an open house at Lowes for kickstarting your very own kitchen project.



I think it's a calling.

This is just a start to our gardening adventures. We hope to expand our horizons to various herbs, and possibly vegetables! So what are you growing in your garden? If nothing, why aren't you?!

3 comments:

  1. waking up at 6 am? lusting after a stove? dreaming of gardening? who are you and what have you done with my brother????

    i am so proud :)

    and so inspired by your post... some fresh rosemary and lavender would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to make some pizza tonight!

    ReplyDelete