Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Childhood Favorites

When I was kid, my mom would always ask me what I want for my birthday dinner. Almost every response was Creamy Garlic Chicken. This was my absolute favorite dish growing up. Now, I'm attempting to make it on my own! I started off by slicing some boneless skinless chicken breast into small strips. I added some minced garlic, salt and pepper and let it marinade overnight. 


Then I lightly browned both sides of the strips, but not not fully cooking them.


I added some water.


Covered it, and let it simmer for a bit until the chicken was cooked through.


Then I added some cream of chicken.


And some more garlic (shhh).



Next, I tempered some sour cream with the hot sauce, and added it.


Finally, just a tad more water to get the consistency of the sauce just right.


Served the creamy garlic chicken with rice. Traditionally, this dish is served with a cold carrot salad, consisting of shredded carrots, shredded apples, and a touch of lemon juice. Unfortunately, silly me forgot to buy carrots at Publix. So, we had to settle for peas.


It was still absolutely delicious, but never as good as mamma used to make it. What's your childhood favorite?

4 comments:

  1. Yum - it was delicious!! I made my childhood favorite recipe last week - Mommy's Macaroni & Cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! Wish there were more veggies on the plate... Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were a lot of the peas! I put the peas on the plate first so the rice and chicken covered them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh i haven't had this in so long!! mmmm. looks great. i agree with mom, you need more veg. remember the carrots next time!! what'd you have for dessert? you must always remember dessert.

    ReplyDelete